Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Spread Your Wings and Fly


Here we go. The last moments of hectic preparations, the continuous revamping of my to-do list, my nail-biting anxiety, and farewell hugs and kisses have arrived. I've spent almost a year of dreaming and planning of this moment, but for some reason I never thought it would come so fast. Sunday morning I will embark on a new journey of my life as I begin my semester abroad in Cameroon, Africa.

With the guidance of my lovely friend, Chelsea, I have decided to keep an online diary of my experiences in Cameroon. I'm not gonna lie to you though, I'm a little nervous about keep this up to date, as Molly can testify that my journal entries in France dwindled to nothing after the first two months. Also, unlike some absolutely amazing people I know, I am not one that can write so wittily and freely. So, let's all keep an open mind, aye?

Cameroon, located in central western Africa, is a country with a little bit of everything. About the size of California, the country consists of everything between tropical rainforests to semi-deserts. Population of 16.5 million, it is home to about 250 different ethnic groups and languages with colonial heritages of German, British, and French. Today, the national language is French with English spoken in the north. While I am in Cameroon, I will continue my French language studies as well as receive a crash course in Fulfulde, a popular language spoken in the north. I am studying with a program called SIT (Study of International Training), a graduate school located in Vermont, with fourteen other students from universities and colleges across the United States. The theme of our program is Culture and Development. Not only will I be taking courses about the development, music, language, geography, history, culture, and politics of Cameroon, I will be experiencing it all as we travel about the country and stay with host families.

As the weeks have wound down to days and the days to hours, I am looking forward to an experience unlike any other and, at the same time, without turning my back to my amazing friends and family I have back at home. Though I know most of you think I am crazy, I truly love and appreciate all of you and your support this summer and in my life.

5 comments:

A Dreamer said...

OH JILLIAN! Je suis tres TRES contente que tu as decide ecrire cette "blog." I hope you can update it as much as possible and I wish you safe, safe travels. I'll be reading!

A Dreamer said...

that was chelsea. and some broken french. :)

Jillian said...

JILL!!! how are you doing so far?? I'm sure you are loving it! I miss you so much already! I'm not gonna lie, I HATE being in this house alone! You know mom likes to stayat the lake every chance that she gets, and when she did you and I always had the house to ourselves! what am i gonna do now??! You and robin were always giving me crap about how there were things in the atic! well now that you're gone, I am really freaking out!!! I'll eventually get over it. It will take time, but i will get used to it. And what am i gonna do now, I can't get mad at you for taking my clothes everyday! It's ok. life will go on!
Thank you for the letter you left me, you know I started to cry... even before I opened it. But thank you! I know you will have an amazing time in Africa. You have worked so hard for this and you deserve to do what you want and experience new things. Please be safe and don't forget about us here in Sioux falls! Cuz we are thinking and praying for you all the time!! I love you jill! keep us posted on what's going on. Be careful! I'm praying for you!!
*Hugs and kisses!*
love you,
*Pipsqueak

Jillian said...

ok i just looked back at what i read, and since i am on your computer it's gonna show up as you are writing things... ha ha! but really it's me!! just thought i would clear that up... so people didn't think that you were writing yourself comments... ha ha. i'll let you go now, i love you!
*pipsqueak

Jillian said...

I love you Jill!!!