Monday, April 26, 2010

Demystifying

During the PST (Pre-Service Training) period in Senegal, the trainees spend about 5 days visiting a currently serving or exiting PCV. In the PC jargon, they refer to this stay as “Demysting”. Ideally, if you are going to a site where there is a current serving volunteer or a volunteer who is about to COS (Close of Service), you would go to your site and stay with that volunteer. Your “ancienne” (the preceding volunteer at your site) or “Sitemate” (another PCV serving at the same site) hosts you for a couple days, helps you to familiarize yourself with your new community, and explains the details of current projects in the community.

Before heading to my site of Koumpentoum, We -- me and the other PCTs going to the Tambacounda region - spent the evening at our regional house in Tambacounda (the city). This gave us the opportunity to meet all the volunteers currently serving in the region and a night to unwind after a day of traveling across Senegal. The PCVs made us dinner and gave us a royal welcome to the region with a surprise themed “Lady Gaga” party. Sigh. Good times.

My anienne, Carla, was an Environmental Education Volunteer and stuck around an extra week in Senegal in order to host me for demysting in Koumpentoum. She was a fabulous hostess and it was fantastic to have her introduce me to all the dignitaries, counterparts, and good people to work with and to know in the community. We spent a lot of time running around meeting people and visiting important sites – the mayor’s office, the schools (Koumpentoum has a lycée!), the Education Inspector’s Office, the radio station, Eaux et Forets (the local Bureau of Reforestation in Senegal), Prefects’ Offices, Poste de Santé (Health Post), etc. Since my site is larger than the typical EE or Health Volunteer’s site, we were pretty busy trying to fit everyone in. It’s a little difficult right now attempting to keep everyone straight, but once I get to site, it’ll be nice to be able to recognize faces even though I might not remember the name or title.

My host family seems to be really sweet. There are mostly women around because my “host father” passed away a few years ago. A family friend, Balaa, was asked to live in the compound to be a “male figure” in the house. Balaa works in the mayor’s office and is also one of my counterparts. I haven’t figured out exactly how the family makes it money, but they eat really well, which means I’ll eat well! From what I’ve experienced so far, the women in my compound are phenomenal cooks and there never seems to be a dearth of vegetables (I’m sooo lucky!). My family has their main family compound and a “secondary compound” right off of the main one. They have about six rooms that they rent out of the secondary compound to seasonal workers and to me. My room is a good-sized room that is already fully furnished (thanks to the previous two PCVs at my site) with a private douche (latrine and shower space). Carla also rented out the small room next to the main room which was used to host travelling PCVs in the area, but now she uses to store gardening supply. I’ll probably continue to pay for the second room and use it to store my bicycle, gardening supplies, and miscellaneous items. I also have a nice fenced-in backyard / gardening space, which Carla has some veggies and fruits already planted. Basically, it’s fantastic!

Koumpentoum has one awesome community garden already, which was started last year by a GIE called “Les Amis de Tous”. Carla and I spent time working on garden transplants, watering, and making a Pépinière (Tree Nursery) with the woman who frequent the garden daily. It’s uplifting to see a successful community garden in action, because we talk about them often with our EE work. Apparently, a women’s group in Koumpentoum wants to start another community garden at the other end of town (closer to my home!), which would be a good project for me to learn about and to jump in on once I get to site.

In addition to Peace Corps’ presence Koumpentoum, JICA also has a presence. JICA stands for Japan International Corporation Agency. It’s the equivalent of US Peace Corps only it’s a program for Japanese. The JICA program is similar to Peace Corps in that volunteers receive technical and language training and serve for two years in a developing country. Their program structure is slightly different than Peace Corps in that a small group of JICAs live in a somewhat urban area together, whereas with Peace Corps, PCVs are usually more isolated from other PCVs. Koumpentoum has five JICAs that work in various sectors of development. Carla and I had dinner with them one evening and they all seem really sweet. Carla got along with them all very well. I’m not sure if she collaborated on any projects with the JICAs, but there is always that potential. Also, they just seem like awesome people to get to know.

There are so many other potential projects that I could be involved with in Koumpentoum, but I’ll elaborate on those as they unfold. There is still so much I need to learn about my community and its needs. After talking with my ancienne, it sounds like some potential projects could be a city-wide waste-management project (something that is already kind of in motion in the mayor’s office, but needs some major logistical assistance), a public latrine project, a new water tower, community gardening, reforestation efforts, small enterprise development with women’s groups, and school clubs – business, environmental, girls’ empowerment, etc.

It’s refreshing to say that I have actually been “demystified” as a PCT, although I know there is still so much I have to learn about the life and role of a PCV. I feel so much more at ease now knowing exactly where I’ll be serving for the next two years and to have met a few people in my community. I still have a lot of work to do before PST is over – language and technical development, but I am getting very anxious to actually install and begin life as a PCV in Koumpentoum.




A shot of the community garden through the fence.
Me and my ancienne

My douche! (Bathroom) Quaint aye?
My room! Home for the next two years!

Anna (a nearby volunteer) getting out of her bush taxi into Koumpentoum. Notice the numerous individuals riding on top of the taxi along with a goat.

A baby goat seeking shade right outside my door.

My courtyard outside my room. Check out the gorgeous mango trees. Btw, the donkies aren't always there, they come and go.


A beautiful Baobab Tree

Another shoot of the community garden in Koumpentoum



la gare routière de Koumpentoum (The train station)
An evening with my ancienne and the JICAs

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi honey. Just wanted to let you know that I'm checking up on you. I'm interested in knowing what you are doing and how you are doing so please write as often as you can on your blog so I can check up on you. Hope all is going well, as I'm sure it is. We miss you and are thinking about you. Please be safe and keep us posted ok? All for now. Love you....MOM